Special Diets

The University of Iowa works to inform those with dietary needs in a variety of ways.

  • All food and menu items are clearly labeled with icons that state whether an item contains gluten and or the following allergens: milk, eggs, fish, wheat, soy, shellfish, peanuts, and tree nuts. 
  • Almond and soy milk are available for those who are lactose intolerant, have a milk allergy, or have a food preference.
  • There are clearly labeled vegetarian and vegan options available throughout our market places.
  • If you have a religious preference that excludes the consumption of pork or pork products, please speak with one of our dining team members. Halal beef and chicken are available upon request.
  • Our Market Places have a fridge with gluten-free products such as bread, buns, bagels, cookies, and other items. We also have gluten-free, noodles, chicken tenders, and pizza available upon request.
  • In during the 2018-2019 academic year, Burge Market Place will launch an allergy-free station. All foods at this station will be prepared exclusively with ingredients which do not contain gluten, or the following allergens: milk, eggs, fish, wheat, soy, shellfish, peanuts, and tree nuts.

Managing a Dietary Request

We want to ensure everyone has a safe experience with University Dining. If you have a food allergy or dietary restriction, please make sure you talk to our nutrition specialist or a manager. We are committed to helping you find a customized solution to meet your dietary needs. A wide variety of food options are available at both market places. Once a dietary request is submitted, University Dining accommodates your request in a variety of ways. 

Dining staff work to:

  • Keep your request, and information contained within, private among administrators involved with your accommodation.
  • Notify you when your complete request has been received.
  • Email you potential accommodations we are able to offer upon review of your request and documentation.

National Nutrition Month

Students should work to:

  • Submit a complete request form.
  • Check your university email address for accommodations-related communication.
  • Begin conversations with a licensed clinical professional to discuss your request and documentation they will need to provide.
  • Initiate conversations with our office if you have any questions or concerns. You may include your family on joint phone calls and office visits, but they cannot manage your accommodations on your behalf.